Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Leah Discovers Luck of the Leprechaun: Sole Bahamian Gymnast Grabs Gold At Int’l Meet



By Arthia Nixon, The Ambassador Agency

Orlando, Florida… 14 year-old Leah Rodgers made The Bahamas proud by capturing a first place title in one of her five events at an international gymnastics meet over the weekend. Rodgers, who is a member of Nassau ‘Nastics, was the only Bahamian and Caribbean competitor at the 2010 Leprechaun Classics in Florida. This was her first ever competition.

The young athlete wowed the judges and blew away her competition by getting top marks with super splits and fantastic flips in her floor routine. Rodgers returned to the competition ring and earned a medal on the bars and on the vault. Despite slipping off of the balance beam during her display, Rodgers jumped back into competition to continue her routine.

“I did my best to focus and I exceeded my expectations,” said Rodgers. “I am very, very happy. I was disappointed with the beam but glad I got my medals in the other areas.”



“Leah gave an amazing first time performance,” said Head Coach of Nassau ‘Nastics Trevor Ramsey with pride. “Her mother and I were the only two familiar faces in the whole gymnasium and she didn’t even have any teammates since the other Nassau ‘Nastics members are participating in other events. Yet, despite all the nerves, especially it being her first competition, she did fantastic and captured three medals. I am extremely proud of her accomplishments.”


No comments:

Post a Comment